Grafikartz is the home of award winning Designer and Illustrator Shahid Mahmood.
After Graduating from Central Saint Martin’s College of Art and Design and The Cambridge School of Art, Shahid worked at several publishing houses and was commissioned to create designs and Illustrations for numerous companies.
Shahid Mahmood is an experienced designer and Illustrator, highly creative and enthusiastic. Passionate about book design. He was the main designer responsible for over 500 titles. Shahid has an excellent knowledge of the design process, software and new digital technology. He also has great organisational skills and attention to detail.
Art Director: Grafikartz.com
- Creating great design and Illustration. Some recent clients are: Owen Weldon Publishers, Insight Guides, Berlitz, Dorling Kindersley, Penguin Books, Amnesty International, Murdoch Books, Chrysalis Books, Camden Council-London, Shots Video Magazine, Grey- London, Intergrafik, Mediatypes……..
Senior Designer: Insight and Berlitz Publishing
- Overseeing the design of all books created using Typefi.
- Creating all book jackets, marketing and sales material for print and digital titles.
- Ensuring all titles are produced to a high standard and within budget and schedule.
- Commissioning and overseeing freelance designers.
- Processing all costs and art department budget.
Project Art Editor: Dorling Kindersley
Worked in three different departments, most recent DK Travel Guides.
DK Travel Guides.
- Created enhanced interactive eBooks (known as iBooks), using content from
the EyewitnessTravel Guides: iBooks: Prague, Venice, Rome,San Francisco.
- Sourced and commissioned location photographers for numerous worldwide locations including: Florida, New York, California, Egypt, Italy, Spain, Germany, France.
- Designed many of the DK Travel Guides including: Family Guides: Italy and London. Back Roads: Italy, Great Britain, Ireland, Australia. Where To Go When.
- Oversaw the production of books by packagers, from initial concept through to completion.
- Presentations for new book ideas.
- Worked as part of the team on 250 short children’s educational books for US publisher Scott Foresman.
- Produced page layouts and specific design solutions using Adobe InDesign
and CS versions of Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator.
- Worked as part of the team on the 525-page “category killer” Human.
- Created concepts and ideas for the look of the book.
- Produced page layouts and development of specific design solutions.
- Produced high-resolution illustrations.
- Commissioned illustrations and photography.
Graphic Designer: Murdoch Books (UK) LTD
- Worked within a team to produce several high quality books from concept to production stage.
- Titles included: The Essential Guide to Woodwork, DIY Kitchens, Bathrooms, Floors & Stairs, Sugar Orchids and Garden Structures.
- Produced jackets and new book concepts and ideas.
- Produced page layouts and developed specific design solutions.
- Produced high resolution illustrations. Commissioned illustrations and photography.
- Prepared for and assisted at photographic sessions.
- Liaised with editors and authors.
- Researched new title ideas.
- Created and updated website using HTML, Flash and Dreamweaver.
Graphic Designer: Carroll & Brown Publishers
Worked within a team on a medical series for the Readers Digest. Titles included:
The Brain & Central Nervous System, The Heart & Circulation System, The Stomach & Digestive System.
Design Assistant: Grey, London
- Assisted in the production of design material.
- Maintained up-to-date filing system.
- Various DTP duties.
Design Assistant: Shots Video Magazine, London
- Worked with the Art Director to produce styled pages.
- Commissioned to produce short animated film.
Central Saint Martin’s College of Art and Design, London.
Post-Graduate Diploma in Communication Design
Cambridge School of Art.
BA Honours Degree: Illustration (2:1)